ABOUT LAMEZIA TERME AND CALABRIA
Lamezia Terme is a city in the province of Catanzaro (Calabria). It is the major city on the Tyrrhenian Sea side of Italy in the 500 km-stretch from Salerno to Reggio Calabria.
Lamezia is 35 km from Catanzaro, 70 km from Cosenza and 135 km from Reggio Calabria. The city is site on the eastern border of the coastal plain called Piana di Sant'Eufemia. The city's center is located approximatively midway in the isthmus separating the Tyrrhenian from the Ionian coast.
There are many touristic, cultural and natural attractions easily reachable like:
- PIZZO CALABRO, on the Tyrrhenian Sea coast, known for its famous ice cream called "Tartufo", a world specialty. Interesting places are Repubblica Square, the Aragonian castle where Murat was killed, that points out in the Goulf of S.Eufemia;
- TROPEA, on the Tyrrhenian Sea coast, is a beautiful town, with a nice seaside (especially Capo Vaticano), and the S. Maria dell'Isola sanctuary. It is also renowned for its sweet red onions;
- SCILLA, on the Tyrrhenian Sea, "pearl" of the Violet Coast, has delightful panorama, important religious traditions, and is the place of some tales of Homer;
- REGGIO CALABRIA, on the strait between Italy and Sicily, biggest and oldest city in Calabria; renowned for its fabulous panoramic Seaside with botanic gardens between the art nouveau buildings and the beautiful beaches, and its 3.000 years of history with the old Aragonian Castle and the great National Museum of Magna Grecia where are the famous Riace Warriors (Bronzi di Riace);
- SOVERATO,on the Ionian Sea, AKA as the "pearl" of the Ionian Sea. Especially renown for its beaches, boardwalk and nightlife.
- GERACE, near Locri, is a beautiful medieval city with a Norman castle and an ancient cathedral;
- SQUILLACE, a seaside resort and important archeological site;
- SIBARI, on the Ionian sea, is a village situated near excavation of ancient Sybaris, colony of Greek people in VII century B.C.;
- STILO, the home of Tommaso Campanella, with a Norman castle and a beautiful Byzantine church, the Cattolica;
- COSENZA, famous for its cultural institutions, the old quarter, a Romanesque Cathedral and a Swevian Castle;
- “SILA” and “ASPROMONTE” MOUNTAINS, with their natural parks.
English page by Laura&Enri.
Via del Mare
Lamezia Terme S.Eufemia (CZ), ITALY.
Tel.: +39 0968 411 212 Fax: +39 0968 411 353